Uratex started its journey in 1968 as Polyfoam Chemical Corporation. It was built by founder Robert G.Cheng and his wife, Natividad Y.Cheng. The duo formed the company with only Php 4,000 and 10 employees. They had a single mission: to provide high-quality foams at affordable rates so that every Filipino had a bed to lie on.
Today, Uratex has 23 plants and showrooms across the nation, and the company continues to search for innovative products and solutions to create durable, comfortable, and premium-quality mattresses. One of its best-selling products is the Uratex foam mattress. This article will discuss foam mattresses- the different types you can find and whether or not they are comfortable for a good night’s sleep.
What is a foam mattress?
If you go to the market searching for a mattress, you will find two popular categories: foam and spring mattresses. Both are constructed very differently, and the materials used also vary. Interestingly, spring mattresses dominated the market for their resilience and affordability, but they lacked cushioned comfort and contoured support. This is why more people prefer foam mattresses to enjoy pressure relief and proper spinal alignment.
A foam mattress relies on air trapped within an aerated substance to offer bounce and support. Its construction design comprises two important components: a comfort layer and a support core. The comfort layer may consist of one or multiple foam layers to provide a plush, cushioned sleep surface. The support core is the mattress’s foundation, usually made of high-density foam. The robustness of the core prevents sagging and increases the life of the mattress.
Types of foam mattresses
There are three major types of foam:
- Polyurethane foam
- Memory foam
- Latex foam
Each type has distinctive features that we will look at in detail.
Polyurethane foam, also known as polyfoam, is used widely for making mattresses. It is an artificial material derived from petroleum and created by mixing two chemicals, polyol and isocyanates. The widespread use of poly foams started in the late 1950s as a better alternative to natural fiber fillings like wool and cotton.
Polyurethane is manufactured in three different densities and grades, which accounts for its performance, durability, and overall quality. Poly foam is easy to compress and is therefore commonly used in bed-in-a-box mattresses.
Poly foam is a highly resilient and sturdy foam which is why it’s also used in the support core of foam mattresses and as the base foam in spring mattresses. It efficiently conforms to body curves and helps to relieve pressure quickly. Unlike memory foams, polyurethane foams can retain their original shape, but they are not as comfortable as the former.
The memory foam has an interesting back story. NASA initially created it as a shock-absorbent for astronauts. Later, it was used in airplane seats until it was introduced to mattresses in the 1990s. What makes the memory foam unique from polyfoam is the additional chemicals that are used in its manufacturing.
The additions make the foam sensitive to temperature and body weight, and this ensures maximum conformity and pressure relief. The memory foam distributes body weight evenly in all sleep positions so you can enjoy healthy spinal alignment. The dense structure of the foam makes it hypoallergenic and is, therefore, an excellent choice for people with allergies.
Some people complain that memory foam retains heat which eventually softens up the top layer, causing excessive sinkage. To counter these problems, manufacturers infuse gel, copper, and other cooling agents into the memory foam, so it remains cool and supportive for longer.
The first latex foam was created in 1929, but it wasn’t until the 1940s that manufacturers began using it commercially in furniture and mattresses. Latex foam is made using the milk or sap of rubber trees, which is whipped to create a frothy foam. This prepared mixture is poured into molds for creating latex beds.
Since latex is a natural material, eco-conscious people prefer it over regular mattresses. A latex mattress is also hypoallergenic, like memory foam, and offers a comfortable night’s sleep. The material is slightly firmer than its counterparts, but it still effectively conforms to your body curves.
As opposed to memory foam, latex is inherently cool, so if you are a hot sleeper, latex beds are for you. There are two types of natural latex foams: Dunlop and Talalay. The former is more dense and firm, perfect for back and combo sleepers, whereas Talalay is more flexible and airy, making it ideal for side and stock sleepers.
Now that we have covered the three types of mattresses you will find in the market along with their characteristics; you’re in a better position to decide which one is best suited to your needs.
The difference between foam and spring mattress
Foam and spring mattresses are both widely used by people worldwide. Here is a comparison between them to help you decide which one is better suited to your preferences.
- Spring mattresses offer quick response, allowing you to change positions easily without disturbing your sleep. It is best suited to back sleepers. On the other hand, foam mattresses are preferred by side and stomach sleepers.
- If you’re more on the heavier side, you will find that a spring mattress offers a lot of pushback support so you can sleep comfortably. In contrast, heavier persons find foam mattresses less supportive and experience excessive sinkage while sleeping.
- In terms of comfort, foam mattresses are usually on the softer side, offering you the best contouring you can imagine. Spring mattresses are firmer by nature because of the flexibility of the springs that bounce back under pressure.
- The coils in spring mattresses can form pressure points in some sleepers because of pushback and uneven weight distribution. However, a foam mattress distributes your weight evenly and contours your body perfectly. It takes stress off your joints and supports your pressure points.
- A spring mattress isn’t affected by your body heat, and the surface stays cool throughout, whereas memory foam can soften under heat. Latex foam stays cool like springs.
- Spring mattress lacks motion isolation, so if you share a bed with your partner, you may end up disturbing their sleep every time you move. Foam mattress absorbs movement well and is better suited for bed-sharing couples or families that share the bed with kids.
- A good spring mattress lasts for around six to seven years, while a foam mattress lasts for nearly eight years and more if properly maintained. The coils in a spring mattress tend to break or lose their flexibility because of bounce and excessive weight, but foam mattresses don’t break down quickly.
If you want to buy a comfortable mattress made from high-quality materials and lasting qualities, Uratex mattresses are a great choice. You can either visit their physical store or browse their website to explore the wide range of mattresses they offer.
Here are some options you can find in-store.
- Uratex Airlite Cool Mattress
- Uratex Airlite Breeze Mattress
- Uratex Perfect Serenity Mirage Mattress
- Uratex Trill Mattress-in-a-Box
- Uratex Senso Memory Original Mattress
- Uratex Senso Memory Frost Mattress
- Uratex Orthocare Symmetry Mattress
Each variation of the mattresses is made using innovative technology that ensures you get a good night’s sleep whether you’re a stomach sleeper, back, or side sleeper. Moreover, products like Airlite Cool, Airlite Breeze, and Memory Frost foam keep you cool throughout the night. So, even if you’re a hot sleeper, you can invest in Uratex’s foam mattresses.
There are different Uratex foam sizes that you can choose from according to your Uratex bed size. If your living space is smaller, you can consider buying the Uratex single bed size mattress or the Uratex sofa bed.
Uratex is one of Atome’s partnered merchants
If you are worried about Uratex foam price, you should know that there’s an easier way to pay for your purchase: through Atome. Uratex has partnered with the buy-now-pay-later service of Atome to offer its customers a choice to pay their bills in three parts instead of one.
With Atome’s flexible monthly payment plans, shopping for your favorite Uratex mattress is easy! Read on to see how this service works.
How does Atome work?
Atome is a BNPL company with roots in Singapore but operational across ten markets, including Malaysia, the Philippines, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Mainland China, Japan, and Thailand. The purpose of this service is to make it easier for people to own high-quality products and services. With the option of monthly payments, digital-savvy consumers can own things they desire over time without overdrawing their budget.
Shopping with Atome is convenient and fun. Since the company has over 10,000 partner merchants, you can browse through thousands of branded products to find the perfect one. Atome brings its users products and services across beauty, fashion, lifestyle, home, sports, and more.
If you want to become an Atome user, download its app (Get the app) and create your account. Once it is approved, you can begin shopping immediately. Downloading this app right now qualifies you for a welcome voucher of ₱200 off on your first purchase, so head over to Atome’s website now!
How to pay with Atome at Uratex
- Scan the QR code from Atome’s app at check out for in-store purchases.
- For online purchases, select Atome as your payment partner at check out.
- Enter your user details when redirected and continue.
- For both in-store and online purchases, pay one part of your Uratex bill at the time of check out and defer the remaining payment to the subsequent months.
Invest in a Uratex foam mattress for a comfortable night’s sleep
Uratex has created a name for itself by offering premium quality products that are durable and comfortable. With a customer-focused approach, it has won the hearts of many Filipinos. So, if you are searching for a foam mattress in the Philippines, Uratex is a great option to explore. Shop with Atome to avoid straining your budget and enjoy its monthly payment plans that are interest-free.